Contact Us: For general library information, requests, and other assistance, call the library at 715.356.4437 or EMAIL.
Our address is 415 Menominee Street, Suite B, Minocqua, WI 54548. (See map at bottom of page).
Mary Taylor, Director EMAIL
Cindy Wendt, Assistant Director and Adult Services Coordinator EMAIL
Barbara Young, Outreach and Interlibrary Loan Coordinator EMAIL
Jennifer Klement Black, Youth Services Coordinator EMAIL
Jennifer Davis, Young Adult Services Coordinator EMAIL
Library History: At the beginning of the twentieth century, a number of local women formed a Book Club, which initially stored their books on Mrs. Torpy’s enclosed porch. In 1927, the club’s growing collection was moved to a small space in the new Community Building (corner of Milwaukee and Chippewa Streets). At the same time a Library Board was appointed with volunteers from the Women’s Club working as librarians. A few years later (1933), the Woman’s Club convinced the Town Board to “sponsor” or to establish the library as a town department. Steady growth in the library collection and services continued until 1962 when the library moved into the former depot on Front Street.
Another move – to the former grade school on Chicago Avenue – was planned in 1982, but just as the move was to begin the building was nearly destroyed by fire. Using insurance funds and other donations, the structure was rebuilt and dedicated on June 26, 1983. In the 21st century, the library changed dramatically with the arrival of the internet and a shared library catalog which alllowed Minocqua library users to easily borrow items from the other members of the WVLS library system. With library use soaring, space became an issue once again, so in the fall of 2009 a referendum to renovate and expand the library facility was placed before the voters. The referendum was overwhelmingly approved (72% margin), and construction was begun the following fall (November 2010) and completed in May 2011. The library’s grand opening was celebrated on June 22.
Governance/Policies: The library is governed by a seven member Board of Trustees. Monthly board meetings are held in the library’s Susan & Roger Smith Community Room, generally on the third Monday of each month. Special meetings are held as needed. Contact the library for specific dates and times.
Library Board Members: Hank Roessel, Board President; Board Members, Laura Mendez, Sam Gildseth, Kim Widmer, Pat Pechura, Jean Mejerle and Stephanie Wotacheck.